Flames Tuesday morning destroyed a bar in Downtown Palouse that was set for its grand opening.

Firefighters were on the scene for hours on the 100 block of E. Main.  By 7 a.m., crews were still mopping up but the flames had been put out, authorities said.  Heavy smoke could still be seen for miles. 

A builder said the 100-year-old building had been under renovation for the past few months.  The bar and grill had scheduled its grand reopening for Tuesday night.

The fire shut down streets in the Downtown area.  Drivers were advised to stay out of the area.

There was no immediate word of injuries.